List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    [Fwd: icon locations]
From:       Stephan Kulow <coolo () caldera ! de>
Date:       1999-08-28 16:59:05

Programmers, heed this: If someone starts asking you about
agricultural genomes, it's likely time to get a handler.
                                zdnet.com about Torvalds

Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 12:51:34 -0400 (EDT)
From: Cristian Tibirna <ctibirna@total.net>
To: kde-core-devel@kde.org
cc: coolo@caldera.de
Subject: Re: icon locations

On Sat, 28 Aug 1999, Stephan Kulow wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I need feedback on an issue I'm thinking about.
> The recent additions of large and hicolor icons
> make it even more important to have a decent icon

That makes 2 weeks since I think about this thing too. But the solution I
saw was exactly this one, and with KDE-1.1.2 being so near this solution
scared me so hard that I wasn't able to sleep one week :-) I was even
afraid to propose it :-)

> Currently we have share/icons/* and then we have
> large and mini. I think, we should get rid of all
> icons in share/icons and move them to directories
> instead. So we'd have
>
> share/icons/locolor
> share/icons/hicolor
> share/icons/large
> share/icons/mini

> and no icons itself in share/icons. What we would
> need is a way to let KIconLoader pick the best
> default. This way it would even be very easy to
> introduce alternative icon schemes (say other window
> managers come with a decent collection...).

Problem. Most third party apps already existing won't be able to know
about and handle this until the authors don't "borrow" the new changed
autoconf/automake-related files from the kdesdk/example (or hack them by
themselves :-)

God, I hate to do things in a rush.

Maybe for 1.1.2 we should adopt something like

share/icons-lo
share/icons-hi
share/icons-hi/large
share/icons-mini

share/icons -> share/icons-hi
share/icons-hi/mini -> share/icons-mini
share/icons-lo/mini -> share/icons-mini

And then write "one-radio-button" GUI into kcmdisplay/style which will
handle the symlinks.

For KDE-2, your solution is the obvious/decent one.

> A similiar scheme would then be introduced in
> share/toolbar, but there the problem isn't as
> urgent as we only have one scheme right now.
>
> What do you think? The biggest consequence would
> be that I'd rename all appname.xpm to lo-appname.png
> and copy the icons from the 1.1 branch to hi-appname.png
> and large-appname.png. Almost the complete rest would
> be done by am_edit which already has support for
>
> KDE_ICON = appname build in.
>
> Greetings, Stephan

Our luck is named Coolo. What the heck! Managing a >1M lines of code
project with a well thought out am_edit modif, as it was my 5-lines backup
script :-) We owe you a case of bear each - so you can get drunk (although
I believe you don't want it...) 10 times a day for 150 years from now on
:-)

Cristian