List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: kfileinfo in kfile lib vs. kfileitem in konq lib
From:       Richard Moore <rich () ipso-facto ! freeserve ! co ! uk>
Date:       1999-08-18 11:53:45

Stephan Kulow wrote:

> pbrown@redhat.com wrote:
> >
> > Why is there so much duplication between the kfile and konq libraries?
> > Doesn't it seem like we should collapse the two into one?  One example is
> > the KFileInfo that is in the kfile library.  While it's API is different,
> > it is very similar to the KFileItem that is in libkonq.
> >
> > It seems that much of what is available only in kdebase/libkonq should
> > maybe move into kdelibs?
> >
> KFileInfo is really an internal class of the file dialog. It's just a
> container
> that is passed from the engine (KDir) to the view (KFileInfoContents). I
> see
> no real reason to change this.

The KFileInfo API is almost exactly the same as QFileInfo. It makes it
easy to port Qt code that only worked on local files to KDE by making it
easy to extend the code to cover URLs.

> And still: kfile and kio have two completly different goals. But if kio
> would
> be fast enough, some code in kfile could be removed with equivalent kio
> calls.

Yes, but the performance needs to be fast as you say because when there
are directories with many files a lot of information must be passed
around.

Rich.

--
     Richard Moore		rich@ipso-facto.freeserve.co.uk