List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: transparent backgrounds in apps
From:       Antonio Larrosa <antlarr () arrakis ! es>
Date:       1999-08-07 13:50:17

Cristian Tibirna wrote:

> Hi

Hello,

> As Lotzi proposed putting transparent background (TBG) in the libraries,
> Antonio actually worked the feature in konsole and Daniel prepared those
> fast fading routines, I thought all of you could be interested.
>
> Instead of putting all the konsole (kpager) duplicating background
> mechanism in the libs, what about building a TBG pixmap server in
> kdesktop?

Great,

> Yes, this will invalidate TBG if kdesktop would not function, but then the
> TBG would look weird anyways, as no bg would be really available.

You're right.

> The advantages would be:
>
> - reducing the code needed for transparent background to one line par app

That's the same than putting the code in a lib.

> - reducing the memory usage from one desktop-sized pixmap per app for each
>   desktop at *one* pixmap per desktop.

That's not right, there are no things as transparent widgets, as then they
are
unusable. What we really use are tinted transparent widgets, and I think it
would
be a bad idea to not let people have different tints for each konsole
(depending
for example on the real computer the shell is running).

> - speeding up the TBG mechanism since each TBG display will only require a
>   simple bitBlt of a pixmap having the size of the requesting widget.
> - centralizing all the TBG code (hence making it available for anything,
>   from full widgets to menu items :-)

Anyway, I agree that there should be a good way to "share" the background
pixmap (and then apply the tint with a lib call e.g.), and your proposal
is a very good start.

> What do you think?

I think in xearth :-), have a look at this page :
http://wwwrzstud.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de/~uddn/xglobe/

and a nice screenshot here:
http://wwwrzstud.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de/~uddn/xglobe/screenshot5.html

I've just downloaded it, so I don't know how it works exactly.
Anyway, I'll have a look now.
Btw, IMO, we should think of adding xglobe to KDE2.0

Greetings,

--
Antonio Larrosa Jimenez
antlarr@arrakis.es        larrosa@kde.org