Cristian Tibirna wrote: > > Hi > Hello, > As Lotzi proposed putting transparent background (TBG) in the libraries, > Antonio actually worked the feature in konsole and Daniel prepared those > fast fading routines, I thought all of you could be interested. > > Instead of putting all the konsole (kpager) duplicating background > mechanism in the libs, what about building a TBG pixmap server in > kdesktop? Great, > > Yes, this will invalidate TBG if kdesktop would not function, but then the > TBG would look weird anyways, as no bg would be really available. You're right. > > The advantages would be: > > - reducing the code needed for transparent background to one line par app That's the same than putting the code in a lib. > - reducing the memory usage from one desktop-sized pixmap per app for each > desktop at *one* pixmap per desktop. That's not right, there are no things as transparent widgets, as then they are unusable. What we really use are tinted transparent widgets, and I think it would be a bad idea to not let people have different tints for each konsole (depending for example on the real computer the shell is running). > - speeding up the TBG mechanism since each TBG display will only require a > simple bitBlt of a pixmap having the size of the requesting widget. > - centralizing all the TBG code (hence making it available for anything, > from full widgets to menu items :-) Anyway, I agree that there should be a good way to "share" the background pixmap (and then apply the tint with a lib call e.g.), and your proposal is a very good start. > What do you think? > I think in xearth :-), have a look at this page : http://wwwrzstud.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de/~uddn/xglobe/ and a nice screenshot here: http://wwwrzstud.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de/~uddn/xglobe/screenshot5.html I've just downloaded it, so I don't know how it works exactly. Anyway, I'll have a look now. Btw, IMO, we should think of adding xglobe to KDE2.0 Greetings, -- Antonio Larrosa Jimenez antlarr@arrakis.es larrosa@kde.org http://www.arrakis.es/~rlarrosa Klein bottles for rent -- inquire within.