List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: desktops -does it make sense?
From:       Stefan Taferner <taferner () salzburg ! co ! at>
Date:       1999-07-01 13:57:17

On Thu, 01 Jul 1999, Cristian Tibirna wrote:
> Hi
>
> I wonder if this list is already useable (I mean, if those interested are
> already subscribed)

You mean: if there is anybody who is interested in core development
but not subscribed yet: please speak up  =;->

> While looking into kdesktop (which doesn't yet function as a real desktop
> - which is why I was looking into it) I started thinking about a mental
> development I had on a schematic proposal I found on the lists some time
> ago (sorry, I forgot the name of the contributor).
>
> Would it be interesting to have many desktop folders (one for each virtual
> desktop - as defined by kwm)? This would mean having, in the $HOME/Desktop
> directory, a number of subdirectories (as many as virtual desktops there
> are) which would store desktop-specific icons (like a "Net" desktop that
> you'll use to store your frequently visited URLs).

I would prefere to be able to configure this somehow. E.g. there could be
a desktop path template "~/Desktop/%N", where %N, if it exists, is replaced
with the current desktop number. Then it would be an easy task to have
~/Desktop
~/Desktop/%N
~Desktop%N

... and all the others.

> Icons which one will want on all the desks (like the trash can) would be
> (configurable) sticky and will reside in a no_desks+1 desktop, called
> "General".

Another thing here: how do you determine if a dropped icon shall be on
the current desktop or on every desktop? "Ask the user" is IMO not the
best solution. But I cannot come up with a better suggestion.

Result: sounds nice, but I think the concept of a common set (General)
is not very easy to implement. But at least being able to choose between
a common desktop for all icons or per-desktop icons would be a nice
addition.

Yet another topic: what to do with users who log in more than once?
Have a per-display desktop?

--Stefan