List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    desktops -does it make sense?
From:       Cristian Tibirna <ctibirna () total ! net>
Date:       1999-07-01 3:49:13

Hi

I wonder if this list is already useable (I mean, if those interested are
already subscribed)

While looking into kdesktop (which doesn't yet function as a real desktop
- which is why I was looking into it) I started thinking about a mental
development I had on a schematic proposal I found on the lists some time
ago (sorry, I forgot the name of the contributor).

Would it be interesting to have many desktop folders (one for each virtual
desktop - as defined by kwm)? This would mean having, in the $HOME/Desktop
directory, a number of subdirectories (as many as virtual desktops there
are) which would store desktop-specific icons (like a "Net" desktop that
you'll use to store your frequently visited URLs).

Icons which one will want on all the desks (like the trash can) would be
(configurable) sticky and will reside in a no_desks+1 desktop, called
"General".

One thing that this approach will allow is the instantiation of a
IconContainer for each virtual desktop, hence eliminating the problem of
virt-desk-specific geometry that the Container should have (of course, the
other solution is setting one unique's IconContainer instance at desktop
change). The "General" desktop would have a geometry defined by the
intersection of the geometries of all the other (local) desktops.

Other advantages can be imagined.

I can see some disadvantages too, but I'd like to see discussion going on
first.

Cristian Tibirna     : ctibirna@total.net     : www.total.net/~ctibirna
PhD Student          : ctibirna@gch.ulaval.ca : web.gch.ulaval.ca/~ctibirna
KDE contact - Canada :  tibirna@kde.org       : www.kde.org