List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: sentry evaluation
From:       Sharaf Zaman <shzam () sdf ! org>
Date:       2023-06-02 1:15:03

Hi!

Nate Graham <nate@kde.org> writes:

> To be honest, I haven't found Sentry to be that useful in its current
> implementation. The primary issue is that it represents a second source of truth
> for where crash reports live. As a result, developers who already struggle to
> notice Bugzilla-based crash reports have to look in a second place, further
> diving their scarce attention. I haven't seen evidence of people regularly
> interacting with it or looking at its crashes beyond the excitement of the
> initial rollout, so now it's largely just a new graveyard of issues being
> ignored due to insufficient developer time.

I think looking at Sentry as just another tool to get reports is a wrong way to
look at it (: It should be more like a tool to look at reports which *most*
people are facing, in this case crashes. Sentry isn't currently implemented in
Krita, but on Android we have similar reporting, thanks to google play and it
has helped me a lot to detect crashes in our beta (most people never report
them!). Similarly it has helped me ignore the obscure error that 0.001% of the
user space gets on their out of ordinary device (and you have no idea a crash is
obscure from bugzilla). In that sense sentry is something very similar and could
be a great metric to direct your attention at issues rather than a distraction :)

> I think Sentry could make sense to keep if it was implemented for us more as a
> kind of automatic symbolication service that can take a bad backtrace, add debug
> symbols, retrace it, and then pass *that* off to DrKonqi so that the resulting
> Bugzilla ticket is guaranteed to have a *good* backtrace in it. That's a real
> problem we currently have that could benefit from being solved in a targeted
> way.

I would absolutely love if sentry could also symbolicate from binary factory
artifacts, but I know it can be difficult!