List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KSvg in kdereview
From:       "Friedrich W. H. Kossebau" <kossebau () kde ! org>
Date:       2023-05-12 13:41:23

Hi,

Am Donnerstag, 20. April 2023, 10:25:34 CEST schrieb Marco Martin:
> Hi all,
> A part of plasma-framewrok, which is the one to do SVG-based themes,
> has now been splitted in a standalone library which is intended to be
> a new framework in KF6 (all usages of the plasma-framework version
> will be ported once this officially lands, and then those classes will
> be removed)
> The repo for now lives in
> https://invent.kde.org/libraries/plasmasvg
>
> In the end it will be renamed in ksvg
>
> Comments? reviews?

Came across the library yesterday by chance.

Did some small fixes (library e.g. was installed with literal ".SOVERSION" as
suffix...), but the more I did and more I saw... IMHO this should not have yet
been passed to kdereview, being in alpha state for my taste.
E.g. "TODO KF6" ideally would not be handled during the review phase, but
before.
And the README and other docs not (yet) mentioning what the scope & purpose of
the library, but being dead copies from Plasma Framwworks also makes things
harder to assess.

Builds on CI all failing ever since and before also looks a bit unattractive.
Currently still with FreeBSD.

For the name, "KSvg" sounds very unspecifc to me, ideally the name would
reflect the purpose & scope of the library some more (but then that is not
defined somewhere also, so... ;) ). Something with SVG, but what exactly?
Perhaps "KSvgTheme" (proposed by Sune on irc) or similar might make it more
clear?
Also using "KSvg" as namespace results in class names like KSvg::;Svg,
KSvg::SvgItem, etc. which looks a bit strange to my eyes on consumer side due
to the duplication. In my perfect world the naming would see some overhaul
given this is a new library. Yes, some one-time porting pain, but sanity
afterwards, for a certain type of sustainability ;)

My 2 cents as someone who just came by, but with no current own needs in that
library.

Cheers
Friedrich