List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Compatibility problems with latest GTK+ applications
From:       Kevin Krammer <krammer () kde ! org>
Date:       2014-05-09 11:55:41

On Friday, 2014-05-09, 12:44:18, John Layt wrote:
> On 9 May 2014 10:07, Boudewijn Rempt <boud@valdyas.org> wrote:

> > And in the meantime, the GTK developers themselves have made pretty clear
> > that GTK is for Gnome applets, not big cross-platform desktop
> > applications:
> > https://lwn.net/Articles/562856/.
> >
> > " GTK+ is primarily intended to be used on the GNOME desktop, using X11 as
> > the backend."
> >
> > "GTK+ must focus on being the toolkit of the GNOME platform first, and
> > tackle integration second."
>
> Thanks for that link, it explains things very nicely.  Between their
> lack of resources and the "GnomeOS" philosophy it will be interesting
> to see how they respond to our approaches: in the article they clearly
> state only a mass rebellion from Gtk's users would prompt them to
> focus on cross-desktop/platform improvements.  I can't help but wonder
> if the "implement it without a fallback" approach was partly intended
> to force other WMs into supporting CSD their way?
>
> Gnome is looking more and more like a walled garden these days, I
> really don't understand how they think that's the best way to win new
> users, but then I'm a pragmatist at heart.

It is probably a matter of conserving resources.

From their perspective the available options could be
* fantastic experience on one primary platform
vs
* usual/acceptable experience everywhere

Given a greater number of developers they might not have to chosse at all, but
that's currently not the case.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring