List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Review Request: include KolorManager in kdegraphics
From:       Matthias Klumpp <matthias () tenstral ! net>
Date:       2012-03-16 15:16:10

2012/3/16 John Layt <jlayt@kde.org>:
> On Wednesday 14 Mar 2012 15:54:54 Matthias Klumpp wrote:
>> Hi!
>> Colord - just to mention that - is also not a GNOME project, it's a
>> FreeDesktop project. (Doesn't mean it's "standard", but does mean that
>> it's not GNOME) So everyone is free to contribute to it, and the
>> maintainer is interested in collaborating with KDE. (which he already
>> does very nicely)
>
> There is no such thing as a FreeDesktop project. =C2=A0FreeDesktop sets s=
tandards
> like desktop files, it doesn't build or choose implementations. =C2=A0Jus=
t because
> a project chooses to use fdo facilities does not mean it has been chosen =
or
> blessed by fdo. =C2=A0There is no process for fdo to do such a thing. It =
is a
> failing of fdo that it doesn't do so, and that it doesn't stop people for=
> claiming to be fdo projects when they are not. /rant
>
> What colord is is a Red Hat project, or more exactly a Richard Hughes pro=
ject
> that Red Hat has allowed him to work on and Gnome has chosen to use.
Hi!
From fd.o:
> freedesktop.org is not a formal standards organization, though some see a=
 need for one that covers some of the areas we are working on.
> [...]
> Unlike a standards organization, freedesktop.org is a "collaboration zone=
" where ideas and code are tossed around, and de facto specifications are e=
ncouraged.
If you consider this, it's perfectly sane to call stuff which is
hosted on fd.o and uses fd.o namespaces (e.g. on DBus) is a
Freedesktop-project. You also need to apply for a new project first
and fd.o admins can reject it. Anyway, this doesn't mean
Freedeskop-Projects are standard, it just means that they're on a
public "collaboration-place" between desktops like KDE and GNOME. But
telling it a Richard Hughes project is describing it well too :)
Kind regards,
    Matthias