List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Review Request: include KolorManager in kdegraphics
From:       John Layt <jlayt () kde ! org>
Date:       2012-03-16 15:09:39

On Wednesday 14 Mar 2012 04:36:12 Daniel Nicoletti wrote:
> > Request:
> >
> > After working on KolorManager and Oyranos in the past months for the last
> > Oyranos-0.4.0 release, we feel the stack is ready to review for inclusion
> > into KDE.
> > KolorManager resides currently in Playground/Graphics:
> > http://quickgit.kde.org/?p=kolor-manager.git&a=summary
>
> Just a quick question, currently we have two CMS stacks, colord and
> oyranos, while
> I have nothing against having two of them in KDE, I wonder if this  would
> become a problem for colord-kde [1] to enter in kdegraphics too? In that
> case would be better
> to both go to kdeextragear or is there some different policy in this case?
>
> I'm actually targeting KDE SC 4.9 as gnome-color-manager is very mature and
> I am pretty much just rewriting it with Qt/KDE libs.

Here's my pragmatic take on it, without judging the merits of either project
or their champions, and not knowing what the implications for application
developers are.

At the moment I believe we are only talking about KCM Modules to configure
sub-systems external to KDE.  There is no code I'm aware of in kdelibs, kde-
runtime, or kde-workspace that actually implements anything colour management
related.  As such any KCM module to configure such a system belongs in
extragear for now.  When a distro chooses one or other of the competing
systems for their distro then they can package the appropriate KCM for that
system.

If the time comes when one or other system is integrated directly into one of
our core modules or applications and requires to be configured, then that is
the time for that KCM to move into the appropriate main module.

John.