List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Color Managing KDE
From:       John Layt <jlayt () kde ! org>
Date:       2012-02-22 16:42:26

On 22 Feb 2012 11:29, "Boudewijn Rempt" <boud@valdyas.org> wrote:

> On Wednesday 22 February 2012 Feb, Nuno Pinheiro wrote:
> > A Quarta, 22 de Fevereiro de 2012 10:46:53 Richard Hughes voc=EA escrev=
eu:
> > > First, I apologise about the cross posting. Please drop any list whic=
> > > isn't relevant in your replies, and please also cc me as I'm not
> > > subscribed to either list.
> > >
> > > GNOME has been a color managed desktop by default for two releases
> > > now, and I deliberately designed colord to have an open Freedesktop
> > > DBus API that could be used by both desktops. Really, KDE just has to
> > > include a KCM module to do the 6 things on this list and also perhaps
> > > include a simple control center panel to configure it.
> > >
> > > Basically, I need a KDE dude. Of course, I can help quite a lot and
> > > mentor the project, but I=92ve never really coded Qt or C++ in anger,=
 so
> > > to speak. If you=92re interested, I could maybe even set up a Google
> > > summer of code place as well, although I=92d prefer it to be an exist=
ing
> > > person familiar with the KDE community so there is some ongoing
> > > maintainer.
> > >
> > > If anybody is interested, let me know and I=92ll set up a meeting and=
 we
> > > can talk and discuss details. Thanks.
> > >
> > > Richard Hughes
> >
> > Use case here I want this :D, please guys help Richard. Yill make you
free
> > icons :D and mybe pay you a beer or 2.
> >

> While I agree that KDE needs colormanagement built-in, especially with
artists moving to KDE (I get almost no bug reports for Krita from gnome
users anymore, while that used to be the majority...) it's not like nothing
has been done before for KDE:

> Especially:
>
> http://www.oyranos.org/2011/11/kde-and-colour-management/
> http://www.oyranos.org/kolormanager/
>
> which are now, afaik, being used in OpenSUSE. There's quite a bit of
contentiousness between around this topic, and I have to say, while I don't
get the technical differences all the time, I do understand the friction I
see happening on, e.g., the openicc mailing list.

> With all the respect I feel for Richard, I do think that this is yet
another of those technologies that get developed in splendid isolation for
Gnome, forced upon the Linux world by Redhat, claimed to be a standard and
which is then used to complain about KDE's lack of involvement yet again.
It makes me feel a bit unhappy.

> --
> Boudewijn Rempt
> http://www.valdyas.org, http://www.krita.org, http://www.boudewijnrempt.n=

It's not a situation I understand or want, but the reality is we now have
two competing colour management systems which are shipping in distro's.
It's a situation I'll have to learn more about later from a Qt printing
context, but for now rather than debate the rights and wrongs we need to
think about supporting KDE users on Fedora, Red Hat, and any other distros
that choose colord over oyranos.

All that is needed here right now, and all I believe Richard is asking help
for, is for a KCM to configure colord. KDE is a community know for it's
pragmatism and I think we need to be pragmatic here as it is not diverting
significant resources or making deep changes, or expressing support for one
or other solution.

I believe Alex Fiestas has expressed an interest in the past in developing
a KCM so he might be a good starting point.