List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Formal complaint concerning the use of the name "System Settings"
From:       Thomas =?UTF-8?B?TMO8Ymtpbmc=?= <thomas.luebking () gmail ! com>
Date:       2011-07-26 20:39:38

Am Tue, 26 Jul 2011 22:27:40 +0200
schrieb Ambroz Bizjak <ambrop7@gmail.com>:

> Additionally, I make the following points on your proposed solution:
>
> My solution can do everything that the solution you are proposing
No. Can't. The runner/startmenu (call it whatever you want) can
effectively prevent clashes - what some extra string can only hope to
achive (based on social engineering)

> Your solution (as far as I get it) assumes a specific interpretation
> of the Name and GenericName fields.
No. It assumes that the .desktop files differ in some identifying
attribute,

> It's just that some DEs (and distributions)
> use the Name field for the primary name in the menu, while some use
> the Name field.
I think you didn't get what I said in the first place.
The runner (the menu, whatever) has to ensure the disambiguation.
Whether starting form the generic or non generic name doesn't matter at
all.

Cheers,
Thomas