Am Tue, 26 Jul 2011 22:27:40 +0200 schrieb Ambroz Bizjak : > Additionally, I make the following points on your proposed solution: > > My solution can do everything that the solution you are proposing No. Can't. The runner/startmenu (call it whatever you want) can effectively prevent clashes - what some extra string can only hope to achive (based on social engineering) > Your solution (as far as I get it) assumes a specific interpretation > of the Name and GenericName fields. No. It assumes that the .desktop files differ in some identifying attribute, > It's just that some DEs (and distributions) > use the Name field for the primary name in the menu, while some use > the Name field. I think you didn't get what I said in the first place. The runner (the menu, whatever) has to ensure the disambiguation. Whether starting form the generic or non generic name doesn't matter at all. Cheers, Thomas