List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE git docs for dummies ? WAS: Re: splitting up kdebase in git
From:       Ben Cooksley <bcooksley () kde ! org>
Date:       2011-01-21 9:44:49

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 11:17 AM, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo@kde.org> wrote:
> On Thursday, January 20, 2011, Ben Cooksley wrote:
>> Correct, it is Gerrit which is a more git based alternative to Reviewboard.
>> http://code.google.com/p/gerrit/
>
> does it have benefits over reviewboard? having just toyed with a bit after
> lunch today, it seems like it's useful to drive the entire integration
> workflow and not just smaller or one-off patches?
>
> if that's true, would gerrit be a workable replacement for reviewboard once
> everything is moved over to git? would it be integratable with
> identify.kde.org?

Whilst Gerrit can integrate with KDE Identity (identity.kde.org) it
has some pretty severe technical issues.

Implementation wise, it runs it's own sshd implementation (written in
Java) on a non standard port. It uses this to allow you to to publish
review requests by pushing to it using a Git client. However, it
implements the git protocol itself as well, and uses it to lie about
the push being accepted by git, storing the changes in it's own
database. In terms of accessing the sshd implementation it provides,
it implements storage of SSH keys in it's own way as well, which means
information has to be duplicated.

In addition, when trying to test it myself, it's installation
procedure failed using MySQL, I was only able to test it using it's
integrated H2 database.

This is completely unpalatable in terms of security and technical on
KDE servers in my opinion as a sysadmin. Not sure what the others
think of it however.

Regards,
Ben