List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: RFC: An action class to ease implementation of show/hide-like
From:       Aurélien_Gâteau <agateau () kde ! org>
Date:       2010-09-20 21:02:34

On 20/09/2010 20:48, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Monday 20 September 2010, Aurélien Gâteau wrote:

>>> I meant change their order, i.e.
>>>
>>>   KDualAction( activeText, inactiveText, parent )
>>
>> Oh I see. If we take my sidebar example, then if the API is inactive,
>> active the call looks like this:
>>
>>   new KDualAction(i18n("Show Sidebar"), i18n("Hide Sidebar"), parent)
>>
>> It feels more natural to me than:
>>
>>   new KDualAction(i18n("Hide Sidebar"), i18n("Show Sidebar"), parent)
>
> True. I didn't realize that activeText is the text that talks about the
> inactive state and vice-versa. I think this is rather confusing, but I
> guess there's not really much we can do about it.

>>> I'm not sure whether it's worth adding two different signals. But
>>> I'd prefer Matthew's solution over a silentSetActive() method
>>> because it let's the listener decide whether he is interested in
>>> changes triggered by the user only or in all changes.
>>
>> OK. I just gave it a try with Konqueror and it works fine. Still it
>> felt a bit odd because at connect() time you take the decision of
>> whether all calls to setActive() will trigger your slot, instead of
>> taking this decision at the time you actually want to change the
>> action active property.
>
> As long as you are the only listener you might have the choice to make
> the decision at the time you want to change the action's active
> property. But as soon as there is a second listener you have no way to
> know whether this second listener must be notified about the change of
> the action's active property. With two different signals the second
> listener has the choice. With just one signal and a "silent" setter you
> take the choice away from the second listener.
>
> This is very similar to model/view in the case of multiple views for one
> model. Only the views know which notifications they want to receive from
> the model. Therefore none of the views must control which notifications
> the model sends out.

To me this action can also be considered a view: it represents the state
of an element in a model. When the view which contains this action sets
itself up, it has to adjust its components according to the state of the
model. This is the situation where I see the view setting the action
active property without emitting signals.

Having said that, I see how your vision is valid as well. Since using
different signals is more common than "silentSet*" methods I am going to
propose the class with different signals for review.

Aurélien