List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Rekonq default
From:       Sebastian =?iso-8859-1?q?K=FCgler?= <sebas () kde ! org>
Date:       2010-02-21 20:42:50

On Sunday 21 February 2010 17:47:26 Maksim Orlovich wrote:
> > Independently from that I still think that the KDE SC has to do better at
> > the webbrowser side. Not a single one of the major distributions ships
> > Konqueror as default browser anymore. I think that says all.
>
> Yes it does --- it states that a small number of proprietary websites were
> able to successfully reduce the web to an oligopoly again, and that the
> so-called Free Software Community would gladly enable them.

It's only semi-related, but I'd be interested in the plans and likelihood for CSS3
and HTML5 support in KHTML, because that will be critical in the future and might
make the problem we currently have in KDE worse.

The problem being that many users are having problems with Konqueror because it
doesn't support some sites that are critical to them. This problem is not solved by
just switching to webkit, we also need to fix our SSL, see the bug cloud around
162485. On top of that, we're having problems keeping up with the speed the "APIs" of
the web are evolving, not unique to KDE, but likely a reason why many others opt for
pooling resources in shared technology such as webkit.

A webbrowser that works for sites users care about is really just the baseline, it
doesn't give KDE an edge in any way regarding web experience, something we would like
to change with Project Silk. (I know, we're behind on communication on that as well,
I hope that improves the coming weeks now that 4.4 is out.)
--
sebas