List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Rekonq default
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2010-02-21 18:59:47

On February 21, 2010, Allan Sandfeld Jensen wrote:
> This is why I think Konqueror is extremely important to KDE, because it is
> at the heart of many KDE technologies(kio,kparts,etc). It is the
> centerpiece that ties them together to serve the user. If we can't make
> that useful and intuitive to the user, then our KDE technologies have
> failed, and the user might as well use dedicated applications such as
> Firefox and OpenOffice.

not all possible combinations will be useful / intuitive to all or even most
users. it's a testament to the flexibility and quality of kparts, kio, etc.
that very complex (and powerful) combinations of these technologies can be
created.

it's kind of like cooking. just because every possible combination of
ingredients is indeed possible, not everyone combination will turn out well or
to the taste of the majority. some combinations will appeal to people with
certain tastes. others will simply be unhappy misfits. this does not make the
ingredients failures, however. it just means some recipes have more limited
audiences.

while i might really love a good pumpkin pie, maybe more people would prefer a
strawberry rhubarb one.

in the case of kparts/kio, they serve many applications outside of konqueror
very, very well and are presented via these applications to the user in useful
and intuitive ways.

i do think that konqueror can be improved and made even better and more
streamlined than it is now. i'm not overly sure the profiles system will be
able to make konqueror something that people who crave a rekonq experience
will jump for. i actually did some small work there in kde3 days, but perhaps
i do underestimate what could be possible with them and i look forward to
seeing what you come up with.

i don't, however, think that the success of KDE software hinges on konqueror
being the default web browser or file manager. it certainly helps if konqueror
is as good and complete as it can be, though, and i really do hope more people
work on it.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se