List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: using gettext for .desktop translations
From:       Burkhard =?iso-8859-1?q?L=FCck?= <lueck () hube-lueck ! de>
Date:       2009-12-11 21:11:05

Am Freitag, 11. Dezember 2009 16:31:01 schrieb Jonathan Riddell:
> Currently .desktop translations are kept in-file rather than using
> gettext .po/.mo files as every other translation does.  This adds
> extra complexity to application's translation infrastucture.  Although
> KDE SVN has its own ways of coverting to and back from .po files third
> party apps don't.  It also means distributions can't easily ship
> updated translations.  Both Ubuntu and openSUSE patch KDE and Gnome to
> make them use translations from gettext instead of .desktop files.
> Should we consider changing the way these translations are done?  I
> believe the glib maintainers are looking at this too.

Looking at http://techbase.kde.org/Schedules I see a minor release in 4.x
every month with bug fixes in the code, updated translations of gui,
documentation and *.desktop files, all together consistent.

From a translators/doc-writers pov  the time frame for these frequently
updates should not be shorter than 4 weeks to enable the teams to do a
substantial amount of updates and improvements for docs + translations.

Beside the valid concerns from Pino/Kevin/Chusslove I therefore see no need to
change the i18n tool chain in kde.

--
Burkhard Lück