List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Bugreporting barrier is too low with the new Dr. Konqi
From:       Tom Albers <toma () kde ! org>
Date:       2009-11-12 9:05:35

Op Tuesday 10 November 2009 11:03 schreef u:
> ps - I know that JIRA being closed source will be a deal breaker for
> some of you, and frankly, that's alright. It is however free as in
> beer for foss projects, as we encourage and contribute to many open
> source developments.

Hi,

Since Mark asked for feedback, here is mine. It's clear that bugzilla does not \
satisfy us completely, and I think it is healthy to look around for alternatives, \
evaluate them, and if it matches all our expectations, we can consider a switch.

There are some elements in JIRA that I very much like and would welcome within KDE, \
but I do consider it being closed source as a show stopper. Not particulary the free \
as in free beer - I think a good bugtracker/development tool is worth some money, but \
more the fact that we would not be able to modify its source code. It would be nice \
and helpful if we would be able to change it, modify language files if it has those \
or have the ability to add a reporting wizard - as we have currently.

With that in mind JIRA is probably somewhat lower on a shortlist to test, though not \
removed from that list.

Best,

Toma
ps. your mail so deep in a thread is a unfortunate, because many will not get that \
far - though it is a clear and informational mail. pss. maybe we should create a \
bugs-system-interest@kde.org mailinglist?