List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    xmlgui, DefineGroup vs. MergeLocal
From:       Andreas Pakulat <apaku () gmx ! de>
Date:       2009-08-07 5:35:28

Hi,

I need some input from the xmlgui experts (if there are any :).

I've had a discussion with the maintainer of okteta about KDevelop's use
of xmlgui's groups. Basically, KDevelop defines its File and other menus
by creating various groups in it (like save_merge, new_merge etc.) and
then using these groups in its plugins to properly order the menus.

The problem is that apparently the groups are not used by any other
xmlgui-using app/kpart except kate (which probably does so only because
we're integrating it all the time). All other apps/kparts are using the
append-attribute for <Action> which appends to one of the MergeLocal
define things from ui_standards.xml in kdeui.

Unfortunately it seems that xmlgui is incapable of merging the two
(we're using append on the DefineGroup but thats not supported as far as
I can see), which means all kpart actions of kparts that KDevelop embeds
end up at the end of the menu.

However the xsd file explicitly says that <Action append=''/> should not
be used by kparts, but instead group should be used for merging kparts.

Now I'm a bit confused as to wether the .xsd is just the theory and in
practice everythings the other way around, or wether there's a bug in
xmlgui somewhere or wether I should start and change all xmlgui files in
apps/kparts to use groups?

Andreas

PS: Discussion on kdevelop-devel is here:
http://lists.kde.org/?t=124938957600001&r=1&w=2

--
Communicate!  It can't make things any worse.