List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Mixing KDE3 and KDE4
From:       Ingo =?iso-8859-15?q?Kl=F6cker?= <kloecker () kde ! org>
Date:       2008-03-16 23:10:45

On Sunday 16 March 2008, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Lubos Lunak wrote:
> >- session management doesn't work - ksmserver restores "its" version
> > (i.e. run KWrite from KDE3 in KDE4, you get the KDE4 version after
> > next login)

Which is exactly what I'd expect.

> This happens to anything that you have more than installed more than
> once in your system. For instance, I have a distribution-provided
> Skype and one I downloaded (the latest version).
>
> Your patch isn't solving that. Why don't applications simply tell the
> session manager the path to their executables, or however they prefer
> to be run?
>
> Of course it isn't going to solve the problem for old applications,
> but we'd be future-proofing against this problem happening again.
>
> So, concluding: instead of saving the "kde version", save the command
> that the application wants to be run with.

That will not work for roaming users where the application executables
might live in different path on different computers. (I have no idea
whether this is a realistic scenario.)

Also I'd expect the first app in the path to be started by sm, e.g. if I
compile an app myself and put it in /usr/local/bin then I want this
version to be started by sm, and if I delete the self-compiled version
again then I'd expect the original version to be started again. But
then, that's just me.

One other thing: On updating from KDE 3 to KDE 4 the entire session will
be lost for distributions (e.g. openSUSE) which put KDE 3 in /opt/kde3
and KDE 4 in /usr. Sure, it's just a one time thing, but IMO it gives a
bad impression on the first start of KDE 4. OTOH, if on first start of
KDE 4 all the apps (or rather their KDE 4 equivalents) I had running in
my KDE 3 session were started in the KDE 4 session I'd be very
impressed.

So I guess the question is: Which drawbacks are more severe? And is the
problem with mixing KDE 3 and KDE 4 actually a problem at all? Or is
there simply a difference between Lubos's expectations and reality?

Regards,
Ingo