List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: even more on kconfig escapes (Re: KDE/kdelibs/kdeui/icons)
From:       Andreas Pakulat <apaku () gmx ! de>
Date:       2007-11-21 18:57:46

On 21.11.07 19:29:44, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> [moved to core-devel]
> [warning: lots of reading ahead :)]
>
> On Wed, Nov 21, 2007 at 11:42:10AM +0100, David Faure wrote:
> > On Wednesday 21 November 2007, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > > I don't understand why creating groups with slashes got broken either. I
> > > suspect that "somewhere" in kconfigs code KConfigGroup::name() is used
> > > where instead the fullname is needed.
> >
> probably. will you have a look? or thomas?

I've got no idea where to start looking and a quick grep doesn't bring
up any place where KConfigGroup::name() is used inside kdecore/config.
The only thing I can imagine is that for some reason the entrymap is not
filled with the absolute path of the config group, but as I said
KConfigGroup::name() is not used anywhere in there...

> i haven't seen complaints about the broken compatibility yet, but here
> are some thoughts nonetheless:
> - i don't think this is relevant for shared kde3/kde4 configs, as they
>   don't have weird group names, afaik

well, knotifyrc in kde4 has slashes, though thats probably as well
subgroups.

> concluding questions (yeah, finally ... ;):
> - should we restore backwards compat?

I think so.

> - which separator encoding to chose?
>   - i tend to favor my last-minute idea even if i spent only five
>     minutes developing it, as opposed to five hours on the rest. ;)

I can't really comment on those various ways, as I don't fully
understand what they'd do exactly. Yes I know you gave an example, but
still I feel this is a bit over the top of my head.

>   - second option would be the "regular" lowest-layer encoding (without
>     the = hack in the non-backward-compatible variant). i guess i'd
>     favor / over |, but i'm undecided.

Well, I actually find ^ quite a good separator, as its probably even
more seldom used than |. Yes I know that doesn't instantly jump at you
and scream: I'm separating hierarchies, but so what, whoever looks at
config files better have a slight idea about their encoding anyway,
especially nowadays with all those various escapings and special [$x]
markers.

Andreas

--
You will be run over by a beer truck.