List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: kwin default window button order.
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-11-15 19:32:40

On Thursday 15. November 2007 19:43:13 Lubos Lunak wrote:
> > * close is a destructive action and should therefore be kept away from
> > other buttons. we do this in our menus as well.
>
>  But in the menu it's moved only a bit away, and it can be done for
> titlebar buttons as well (as seen e.g. in this openSUSE screenshot
> http://en.opensuse.org/Image:Screeny102_KDE_k3b.jpg).

The point is that the buttons are quite a bit smaller then the normal buttons
a user uses. The spacing between an 'ok' and a 'cancel' button, combined with
the button size is that its much much easier to miss the cancel if you aim
for the ok button.
So, I like the idea you bring up but I think its a baby step in the right
direction. And combined with the fact that not all win-decos support spacers
I think its not sufficient.

> > * it changes the defaults to the above
>
>  With the exception of this item, unless there's stronger support for it.
> I'd personally prefer the using of spacers to separate the close button.

How much stronger?  We already have 3 people saying they want their close
button on the opposite side of their minimize/maximize buttons...

For everyone, please try changing your default to the suggestion aaron made;
http://aseigo.bddf.ca/dms/1/235_window_buttons.png [1]

And just run with it for a week or so (got to give it some time), after which
you tell us if you like or dislike it.

1) from http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2005/09/buttons-bugs-and-babies.html
--
Thomas Zander