List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: What to do about KColor?
From:       Matthew Woehlke <mw_triad () users ! sourceforge ! net>
Date:       2007-05-30 14:47:07

Hans Meine wrote:
> Maybe we should use clear terms, then.  Apart from defining what a color is (I
> don't intend to do so here), it appears to me as if the
> terms "mixing", "blending", and "overlay[ing]" were used interchangably in
> this thread.
>
> If you want to "mix" QColor::red and QColor::white, maybe there should be a
> corresponding mixColor() function, too? (Which could e.g. linearly
> interpolate between the RGBA vectors, without using any alpha formulas.)
> That does not follow any graphics theory, but might be something expected by
> users?

It seemed to me that several people expected that. It's also what you do
when making bands in gradients.

> IMO, the term "blending" refers to alpha blending only, which is a specific
> type of "overlay[ing]" (cf. OverlayMode).

I suggested providing both. I would be happy to have:
   mix[Colors](QColor,QColor,<amount>)
- and -
   overlay[Colors](QColor,QColor,<composite mode>)

I guess that's more clear than either being named 'blend'?

--
Matthew
Ideas in this e-mail are larger than they appear and the writer may be