List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: RFC: ideas for a simple OpenDocument API
From:       "Friedrich W. H. Kossebau" <friedrich.w.h () kossebau ! de>
Date:       2006-12-29 20:32:03

Am Freitag, 29. Dezember 2006 20:14, schrieb Kevin Krammer:
> On Wednesday 27 December 2006 11:41, Thomas Zander wrote:
> > On Saturday 23 December 2006 12:09, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> > > I imagine a simple API being part of kdelibs for non-native data
> > > transfer and using some KOffice library for "editing" real documents.
> >
> > KOffice applications all intend to use ODF as the dataformat for
> > clipboard actions, and it would be great if you can then copy paste from
> > KWord to KWrite without falling back to the plain-text part :)
>
> I am specifically thinking about the use case of copying syntax highlighted
> source code into presentation slides and articles :)

In a perfect world there would be e.g. a kate flake which would keep all the
semantic information of the copied source code, so it could be further on
edited with still correct highlighting.

Another option* would be to make the text flake itself capable of automatical
syntax highlighting, perhaps by sharing the highlighter with Kate? With some
kind of dynamic format(ter)?

* I had this idea long ago when sitting in a lecture looking at slides with
awfully formatted code examples.

Friedrich