List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Proposal: Integration of libKMetaData into kdelibs
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-12-18 19:57:07

On Monday 18 December 2006 9:44, Sebastian TrĂ¼g wrote:
> last Friday I discussed the new libkmetadata with Aaron Seigo. We agreed
> that it would be a good idea to have it in kdelibs so all KDE applications
> could benefit from it.

the plan we discussed is something like this:

- put qrdf into kdesupport. it has no kde dependencies (only Qt) and still has
API work left to be done on it anyways.
- put kmetadata in kdelibs/ .. this would include (Sebastian: correct me if
i'm wrong here):
    - backbone
    - kmetadata
    - strigiindexer (optional component relying on strigi being installed)
    - tests
- move the example apps over time to appropriate places, e.g. extragear/search
or whatever

the goals are:

 - have a consumable API that ships with KDE 4.0
 - work on apps consuming that API for KDE 4.1

if the second goal is also hit for 4.0, great. but my recomendation is to set
that as a 4.1 goal. i personally feel that's more realistic if the goal is to
include a broad set of applications. i assume a few, or even a good number,
of apps will use it in 4.0 but it'll really take off post-4.0. but for that
to happen, we need the API in a usable form in 4.0.

whether or not there'll be a BC gaurantee in 4.0 for it is something that's
left to discussion at this point, but in a Good World there would be. there's
still time enough for that, particularly if we get the API in sooner (e.g.
now) rather than later (e.g. N months from now) so we can kick its tires
thoroughly with our own applications.

the "why" is pretty simple: to give kde4 the ability to grow into a fully
searchable, fully linkable, fully semantic desktop. just like how network
awareness was a goal of kde 2.0 that become realized more and more over time
(years, actually), we can set a similar goal for search and semantics.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se