List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Okular moving
From:       Albert Astals Cid <aacid () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-11-13 19:36:41

A Dilluns 13 Novembre 2006 20:13, Wilfried Huss va escriure:
> Am Sonntag, 12. November 2006 22:34 schrieb Pino Toscano:
> > So, can we move okular to kdegraphics?
>
> So what would this mean for Ligature (formally known as Kviewshell)?

Did you read any reference to Ligature/Kviewshell in Pino's mail?

> If I remember correctly there has been made a decision, that no
> applications that are duplicating functionality will be allowed in the
> core modules.

I don't remember such strong decision although i agree some people has
expressed this opinion, but for me, in a world where not all solutions are
perfect, i prefer to have two quite good solutions so that in case one fails
maybe the other works.

> And we are definitely not interested in moving Ligature to Extragear.

This sentence is so wrong...

A) There is kpdf that is on kdegraphics in KDE 3.5. We rename it to okular and
put it on playground because all the other formats different than PDF were
not good enough. There is kviewshell that is on kdegraphics in KDE 3.5. You
rename it to Ligature and now claim that your project is there and can not be
replaced because "it was the first"? This is a quite weak argument in my
opinion.

B) It is not you (nor me) who will decide if Ligature is going to be shipped
or not in kdegraphics in the case it is decided that only one of the two
programs can be on kdegraphics.

To clarify, we just want to move okular to kdegraphics because lots of people
has been requesting it on IRC, my blog comments and personal mails.

Albert (KPDF mantainer and Okular team leader)