List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Using scripting languages for KDE4 main modules
From:       Boudewijn Rempt <boud () valdyas ! org>
Date:       2006-10-01 11:07:36

On Sunday 01 October 2006 12:31, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Guillaume Laurent wrote:
> >However it's clear that a scripting language would be a good thing to
> > have. So the only solution I can see is to decide on an "official"
>
> There's a world of difference between a scripting language that allows one
> to extend an existing application and a scripting language to write a
> full application on.
>
> For the former case, we already have decided on the official language and
> it's JavaScript. We already have the interpreter in KDELibs (KJS).

Not for Koffice, fortunately. We have Kross, which makes it really easy to
offer one scripting interface that works with any language for which there's
an interpreter plugin. We first used kjs for Krita's scripting language, but
it was a pain to provide bindings to the objects we wanted to expose to
script writers, and it was a pain to write scripts.

> For the latter case, there's no decision on official language, since there
> doesn't have to be. Applications can be written using any binding. But,
> as this thread has proven, the basic applications must be in C++ so that
> memory consumption stays low.

I haven't seen "proof", just some assertions, but aside from that, hadn't we
better define a list of "the basic applications" then -- Leo's list is
obviously much too large. If the list of basic applications for which C++ is
required, then people who prefer a little more efficiency in their
development process know what's left for them.

And I think it will be impossible to reach a concensus about a mandated
non-C++ language.

--
Boudewijn Rempt
http://www.valdyas.org/fading/index.cgi