List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Using scripting languages for KDE4 main modules
From:       Sebastian =?iso-8859-1?q?K=FCgler?= <sebas () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-09-28 17:39:12

On Thursday 28 September 2006 16:39, Dirk Mueller wrote:
> On Thursday, 28. September 2006 16:07, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> > Both at the kdegames BOF and kdeedu BOF there was discussion about if
> > programs created enterely in Ruby/Python/etc are going to be allowed to
> > be in main modules of kde for KDE 4.
>
> The TWG actually thinks about requiring that at least one central
> application in KDE 4 is not written in C++. But this is not finally decided
> yet. So if you can provide one, we'd be more than happy to take it. So a
> clear "yes"

That application could well be guidance, although it's not yet ported to Qt4 /
KDE4, the Python KDE4 bindings are not there yet.

http://www.simonzone.com/software/guidance/

Guidance is a set of system administration tools, currently consisting of the
following modules:

- userconfig
- mountconfig (a graphical fstab editor)
- displayconfig
- serviceconfig
- wineconfig
- powermanager

The first 4 have been released in Kubuntu for more than a year now and are
actively maintained by Simon Edwards and me. wineconfig was written in a
Summer of Code project, powermanager is a KISS battery applet using HAL as a
backend and will be shipped with Kubuntu Edgy (the upcoming release).

Part of the tools is well-matured, at least for Kubuntu and Debian-based
systems. With minor effort (mainly testing) they should also be usable for
other distribution. On the other hand, I don't know what the policy is
regarding the use of (partly) distro-specific applications.
--
sebas

Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried
it. - Donald Knuth