List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Ctrl+Y shortcut for redo
From:       Simon Hausmann <hausmann () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-08-31 20:22:58

On Thursday 31. August 2006 20:33, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Thursday 31 August 2006 11:04, Thomas Zander wrote:
> > Why would we want to loose a key for the KDE style just to accommodate ex
> > Windows (and mac) users?
>
> the answer is in the question; as simon has discovered it is nice for
> people who switch between the three desktops, particularly on a day-to-day.
> the question is whether it's worth "losing" that key combo and what other
> key combos are in a similar situation (no point in only doing for it one
> and not other often used shortcuts, right?)

Looking at $QTDIR/doc/html/qkeysequence.html (don't use the online one, use
the one in qt-copy) it seems Find Previous would be another candidate, since
it has Ctrl+Shift+G as primary or secondary shortcut on Windows, Mac OS X and
Gnome but not on KDE.

> if we do add this to the windows and mac layouts, it'll end up conflicting
> with the uses of ctrl+y in apps anyways and annoy those people.

Right. So either we add it to all of them or to none?

> and for those who care, in our source code ctrl+y is used in:
>
> kdiff to turn on manual diff alignment
> kivio to select the zoom tool
> kchat to turn on encryption
> keditctl, which is deprecated, as an alternative to pressing enter (it
> doesn't delete the selection is the only difference)
> kalarm to toggle the systray icon
> kbabel to check syntax of the loaded file
>
> the use of this keystroke in keditctl and kalarm is dubious IMHO; it's an
> odd combo for a zoom tool (kivio) and encryption (kchat). leaving kdiff and
> kbabel on solid ground.
>
> lxr.kde.org is useful =)

Indeed, very interesting!

Simon