List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: FEATURE: Forcing DPI setting for fonts
From:       Lubos Lunak <l.lunak () suse ! cz>
Date:       2006-08-28 11:47:46

On Sunday 27 August 2006 11:31, Germain Garand wrote:
> Le Samedi 26 Août 2006 20:33, Lubos Lunak a écrit :
> >  But the option is meant rather as a hack, and it intentionally defaults
> > to the real DPI (it works just fine for me with Microsoft TTF fonts).
> > Perhaps it should even say that the option is not recommended, but with
> > all those people saying that our fonts handling sucks just because their
> > fonts suck
> >
> > :( ...
>
> right... now if a user with an already tweaked Xft.dpi simply modifies some
> other font options, isn't the patch going to remove that tweak by default?
> is this intended?

 The removal is there in order to make turning that option off again work. I
can handle this by doing the removal only in kcmfonts (impossible to get the
original default at that time I'm afraid), so the setting wouldn't be
affected during KDE startup.

> anyway, I just verified that on a 140 dpi laptop, with
>   -X properly configured to 140x140dpi
>   -Xft.dpi forced to 90:
>
> given a QPaintDeviceMetrics p (a QPaintDevice in Qt4),
>
> p->height()/(p->heightMM()* 1/25.4) == 140
> p->logicalDpiY() == 90
>
> so one can at least take his pick according to the situation.

 In layman's terms, please :). Do you have a serious reason against inclusion
of the patch or you just don't like it (which I don't either, but oh well)?

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer