List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: kdelibs coding style
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-07-24 10:50:51

On Monday 24 July 2006 12:19, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> So please get one other thing clear: There were some emails suggesting
> discussing the style to pick (or if at all). With serious thoughts.
> Thoughts that would like to be answered. And also were by serious
> defenders of the proposal.
>
> > Like I mentioned it's either all or nothing. Which with a minimal set
> > of cognitive skills you should be able to figure out, means: either
> > we'll accept the style that is already well defined (Qt style) or
> > freaking never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever (a few
> > more evers maybe) agree on a common style.
>
> With a minimal set of social skills you should be able to figure out
> that this does not work with KDE's (previous) development and
> discussion style.   Come on, did you really think so?

The proposal was made in a very clear way to _avoid_ discussing
particularities.
We either use pick a pre-made one, or we don't.  Thats not Zacks forcing
anything, thats just experience with lots of developers that each have
his/her own tastes.

So, I think you should recognize Zack has a lot more social experience
then you give him credit for. If only by the fact of recognizing that the
only way to get this done is by sidestepping the discussion of style.
That's much to emotionally laden to get consensus on. I hope that fact
has become clear to more people by now.

I fully support his actions in this thread, and I think its a shame that
there were so many people who basically ignored his wise words and went
on discussing the actual style anyway. Killing this proposal from getting
a meritocratic Ok in the process.
--
Thomas Zander