List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: modifier-only shortcuts
From:       Chusslove Illich <caslav.ilic () gmx ! net>
Date:       2006-07-06 20:39:23

> [: Andriy Rysin :]
> 6) the only suggestion I can do to people right now for KDE3 is to use
> smth like Ctrl+Menu (which I am using myself) or Ctrl+/ which MAY happen
> to be together on your keyboard. The problem is obvious - many keyboards
> either don't have those keys or they are not together.

I myself use RWin only (through a bit trickery with options in Kxkb).
Incidentally, in Gnome's layout manager I can chose RWin (or any other
switcher offered by Xkb) without any trickery. I'd fully support the same
for Kxkb.

Now, for the other folks in this thread:

I didn't expect nearly so much objecting. In fact, I thought that Kxkb is
not allowing Xkb switchers merely due to some obscure technical obstacle.
Armchair consistency and all that is fine with me, but one has to take a
look through window from time to time. Latin-only users (whatever Latin
is, for that matter) probably cannot feel that the keyboard layout
switching is such a fundamental action for non-Latin users, that, by all
means, it deserves special attention.

In my surrounding many people are using some half-ass ASCII transcription
of our script, because, surprise, they complain it's too obtrusive to
switch layouts using eg. Alt-Shift. And that's just in ordinary usage --
chats, forums... Now imagine one typing markup.

I personally had great experience abandoning Alt+Shift in favor of RWin, as
I find I can almost not break typing rhythm that way. Now I switch without
thinking, whenever I want to write the smallest thing in my language
(whereas most people would revert to ASCII).

If I sound a bit grumpy, among other things that's because I have a small
doubt that Aaron's idea, of pressing three keys and then selecting layout
from pop-up list, might not have been just a sarcasm.

--
Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)