List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: increasing the usability of search dialogs
From:       Kuba Ober <kuba () mareimbrium ! org>
Date:       2006-05-18 13:34:40

On Tuesday 16 May 2006 11:31, Thomas Zander wrote:
> On Tuesday 16 May 2006 16:24, Kuba Ober wrote:
> > I don't see how an animation would improve broken behaviour. I'd be,
> > for example, pretty annoyed by an animation that would, in practical
> > terms, block the application and who knows what else. Sliding windows
> > around isn't exactly cheap, especially if you're on a remote X session
> > (even if over a gigabit connection). Animating windows might be
> > acceptable on platforms that are optimized for just that, say OS/X.
> > That's about the only platform where it could be properly implemented
> > (as in not making the performance suffer).
>
> I think you are a bit behind on technology then :)

I'm not. I'm realistic.

> I used an alternative window-manager the other day and it used
> transparency quite abundantly

Surely animations can be enabled on systems that support them, but having them
as a default way of assuring usability is no good.

I can't see why people with remote X and VNC connections should somehow be at
a disadvantage. There are large remote deployments of KDE, so that should be
kept in mind. It's no good to suddenly make lots of people angry.

Cheers, Kuba