List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Future of KDE Development
From:       Stefan Teleman <steleman () nyc ! rr ! com>
Date:       2005-02-19 22:32:04

On Friday 18 February 2005 09:14, Hans Meine wrote:
> Quoting stuff I saw so far:
>
> arts/flow/gsl/gslglib.h/cpp:
>   internal GSL stuff replaced with #include <glib.h> - unnecessary
> arts/mcop/trader_impl.cc:
>   "using namespace std" replaced with std:: prefixes - unnecessary
> arts/soundserver/artsd.cc:
>   this is interesting signal/syslimits stuff, should obviously be
> integrated with #ifdef's
> arts/soundserver/samplestorage_impl.cc:
>   even better - this could be compatible changes (c vs. c++
> headers, direntry handling), I am not sure
> arts/soundserver/soundserver_impl.cc.diff:
>   "No differences encountered" ;-)
> arts/soundserver/soundserverv2_impl.cc:
>   similar to samplestorage_impl.cc, plus some strange patch
> replacing a simple trader call by lots of code hardcoding different
> mimetypes. wow - wondering who hacked this together and why??

These patches are for Forte builds:

1. Why duplicate glib header and implementation files within arts ?
This doesn't really remove the dependency on glib, and it causes
conflicts.

2. The trader does not find any mimetypes. Therefore you cannot play
any sounds. The problem with the trader not returning any matches
from the trader cache can be easily reproduced with the trader test
program.

3. The direntry handling changes are for the memory corruption caused
by the original implementation.

The consequences of 2 and 3 are that you cannot play any sounds, and
Noatun (or any other of the players in kdemultimedia) will crash on
startup with the famous "Cannot instantiate aRts object". These
patches fix these problems.

There is no problem with AC_SYS_LARGEFILE or truncate64 when building
with the Sun compilers.

--Stefan

steleman@nyc.rr.com                          -Monty Python