List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Moving to SubVersion
From:       Leo Savernik <l.savernik () aon ! at>
Date:       2004-10-10 14:30:48

Am Samstag, 9. Oktober 2004 15:34 schrieb Stephan Kulow:
> Am Samstag 09 Oktober 2004 15:18 schrieb Cristian Tibirna:
> > Yes, perhaps a minor concern, but think of it as an important addition to
> > the much (concernedly) thought of barrier of entry to KDE development
> > contribution.
>
> Oh, come on. I can understand if you worry about the change of the way
> it's used. But we expect a change of installed Qt versions every couple
> of months, sometimes even weeks - and there are no binaries for it most
> of the time. And you worry about updating the $CVS client once in a decade?

Well, as Qt is part of KDE, updating it in order for KDE's progress is
inevitable. Yet KDE development should not force updating of development
tools/requirements more than necessary.

CVS is simply mature, does not undergo significant changes, and can simply be
relied upon. SVN is still in flux and will change frequently. Oh, I already
anticipate recurring statements like, "KDE rep doesnt work with svn 1.x
anymore, use 1.x+10 instead". So you will be forced to update svn *often*,
much more often than once in a decade.

Why dont we wait until SVN reaches a mature state like cvs, and switch then?

[...]

mfg
 Leo

PS: Hmm, will cervisia work with svn?