List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Disabling aRts in knotify
From:       Matthias Kretz <kretz () kde ! org>
Date:       2004-02-18 19:51:33

On Wednesday 18 February 2004 20:25, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> I mean almost everything in KDE is plugin-based, I think it must be
> possible to make the kde sound backend plugin-based too. One plugin for
> arts, one for OSS, one for ALSA, one for gstreamer, one for MAS, ....

That's what I hope we can do for KDE 4.

> Basically these plugins would simply forward sampled raw audio data to the
> backend. Almost no cpu usage, much few chances to crash, etc.

This wouldn't even be enough since you need to do the reading, decoding and
resampling (if needed) to be able to play .wav and .ogg files. For knotify
and probably for some simple games that'd be ok then. But a media player or a
game relying on the right timing of the sound might have a lot more complex
needs. (just to let you know it's not a piece of cake to get this right)

--
C'ya
        Matthias