List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Patch for several KImageEffect improvements
From:       Mosfet <dan.duley () verizon ! net>
Date:       2003-05-27 1:55:28

Some time ago I ported quite a few effects from ImageMagick to Qt for
KImageEffect. They haven't gotten all that much attention by me since then
because I was using ImageMagick for my applications, but now I've been doing
all the KDE lib work I wanted to get done for awhile and made several
improvements and fixes :) Since I am dropping the ImageMagick requirement for
future versions of PixiePlus these will be getting a lot more developer
luvin' ;-)

The following effects have been totally rewritten:

Blur
Charcoal
Edge
Emboss
Equalize
Normalize
OilPaint
Sharpen

The most important fix is that some effects based on pixel neighborhoods had
incorrect edges. Things like blur and edge detect, (which is used a lot),
calculate pixels by looking at surrounding ones. I was incorrectly wrapping
around the edges - which would use incorrect data and made the edges look
funny. This has been fixed.

In addition, previously many algorithms had their own matrix code. This was a
lot of duplication and prone to error. This has been replaced with a general
convolve function similiar to what is in recent ImageMagicks. This is both
easier to maintain and provides visually better results. Almost all the above
effects are now significantly more attractive.

Finally, when porting the first time I decreased the bit depth of things I
didn't have to for stuff such as accumulators. While I compensated for the
reduced resolution in the algorithms it made the results worse than what
ImageMagick would create. This has been fixed and now ImageMagick and KDE
should provide nearly identical results.

You can download the patch and see screenies here:

http://www.mosfet.org/effects/

To apply cd to your kdelibs folder and run something like:
patch -p0 < mosfet-effectspatch-0526.patch

Can someone please apply this? It should be binary compatible. It probably
should be backported as well since it provides several fixes and
improvements. If Gallium or someone wants to look this over and agrees then I
can provide a patch for 3.1, too.

Thanks!