Some time ago I ported quite a few effects from ImageMagick to Qt for KImageEffect. They haven't gotten all that much attention by me since then because I was using ImageMagick for my applications, but now I've been doing all the KDE lib work I wanted to get done for awhile and made several improvements and fixes :) Since I am dropping the ImageMagick requirement for future versions of PixiePlus these will be getting a lot more developer luvin' ;-) The following effects have been totally rewritten: Blur Charcoal Edge Emboss Equalize Normalize OilPaint Sharpen The most important fix is that some effects based on pixel neighborhoods had incorrect edges. Things like blur and edge detect, (which is used a lot), calculate pixels by looking at surrounding ones. I was incorrectly wrapping around the edges - which would use incorrect data and made the edges look funny. This has been fixed. In addition, previously many algorithms had their own matrix code. This was a lot of duplication and prone to error. This has been replaced with a general convolve function similiar to what is in recent ImageMagicks. This is both easier to maintain and provides visually better results. Almost all the above effects are now significantly more attractive. Finally, when porting the first time I decreased the bit depth of things I didn't have to for stuff such as accumulators. While I compensated for the reduced resolution in the algorithms it made the results worse than what ImageMagick would create. This has been fixed and now ImageMagick and KDE should provide nearly identical results. You can download the patch and see screenies here: http://www.mosfet.org/effects/ To apply cd to your kdelibs folder and run something like: patch -p0 < mosfet-effectspatch-0526.patch Can someone please apply this? It should be binary compatible. It probably should be backported as well since it provides several fixes and improvements. If Gallium or someone wants to look this over and agrees then I can provide a patch for 3.1, too. Thanks!