List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE Jabber Library
From:       Martijn Klingens <klingens () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-08-04 16:18:05

On Sunday 04 August 2002 17:59, Dominique Devriese wrote:
> Maybe it would be nice to have some example usages of this lib.  I
> must see i really don't see an example of a program sending something
> via IM to a non-KDE program.  Therefore, I'm inclined to think of this
> as internal to KDE, and KDE can do what it wants...

Will KDE get you a Jabber account behind your back for its 'internal to KDE'
stuff? Or will KDE force you to get yourself a Jabber account first before
you can use this 'internal to KDE' stuff, regardless of whether you already
have an ICQ or MSN account?

Needless to say I object to both, since we already have code that makes this
unnecessary. It's not that there's no alternative in this case that we pick a
solution that's readily available instead of a to-be-developed application.
Sure, Psi is a bit more mature, but Kopete isn't that far off. And offers a
whole lot of other options that make it IMSNHO far more usable.

> By the way, you are aware of the fact that you can talk with other
> protocols through jabber, right ?

And the fact that those bridges often don't work because the bridging server
is blocked by another protocol's server, yes.

Martijn