List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: ?Two Certificate Managers? (Re: regarding KPF)
From:       George Staikos <staikos () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-04-19 8:59:22

On April 19, 2002 03:45, Matthias Welwarsky wrote:
> On Thursday 18 April 2002 22:14, Marc Mutz wrote:
> > On Thursday 18 April 2002 21:31, George Staikos wrote:
> > <snip>
> >
> > > especially since our certificate generation
> > > code is not done.
> >
> > Kalle just committed a working kdenetwork/certmanager ;-)
>
> ... while merging AEGYPTEN_BRANCH, i bet. Wonderful. Now we have two
> certificate managers, one for KSSL and one for KMail. They hopefully use
> the same data base, do they? Duplicating the place where Certificates are
> stored would be plain stupid.
>
> I talked to Karl-Heinz Zimmermann at the Cebit fair and pointed out that
> there already was a certificate manager for KSSL and asked why they didn't
> use the existing one instead of writing an own version. His reaction was
> like "I'm shocked" then. So, I hope this has been resolved and you have
> come to the conclusion that duplicating functionality in different modules
> has a good reason whatsoever. However, you'd probably have a hard time
> convincing me.

  I pointed this out right when the Aegypten project was announced.  There was
no interest in using the KSSL database or manager.  Thus they share nothing
in common (to my knowledge anyways).  The only argument I've heard is that
they have to be system independent since they have to work in KDE and in
mutt.  I still think it's unfortunate though.

--

George Staikos