List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: kDebug idea
From:       Alex Zepeda <jazepeda () pacbell ! net>
Date:       2002-04-01 4:38:09

On Sun, Mar 31, 2002 at 09:17:35PM +0000, Hetz Ben Hamo wrote:

> Why is it a problem? because if an end user report a problem - the only way to
> ask him for a back-trace is to recompile from source the specific
> application/directory (example: kdemultimedia/noatun - just an example came
> to my head)..

IMO what would be *really* neat here would be if we could build both debug
and non debugging libraries at the same time for inclusion in the binary
packages....

and then variant symlinks so one could tweak which libraries to use on the
fly.. well hell a simple symlink would work well enough here, and when
debugging output for a specific library is needed you could tell them to
point the symlinks at the appropiate libraries.

Yes, it would mean longer build times (and should be completely optional)
and larger binary packages... well actually what about convincing the
package maintainers to have a debugging package as well that can be
installed in a similar manner and enabled on the fly?

- alex