List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: kio_http speedup patch again
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () planescape ! com>
Date:       2002-03-30 15:38:26

On Sat, Mar 30, 2002 at 03:27:53PM +0000, Rik Hemsley wrote:
> #if Dirk Mueller
> > On Sam, 30 M?r 2002, Rik Hemsley wrote:
> > > Here's my patch again, slightly altered from the last version, because I
> > > don't think we need a CC_VerifyNonLazy - the code in khtml
> > > (misc/loader.cpp) seems to force a reload at the right times anyway.
> >
> > I still don't like it.
> >
> > a) why is there that magic hardcoded 10 * 60 instead of using one of the
> > constants in slave_defaults.h ?
>
> Because that's temporary to show the idea. I would of course make it a
> constant somewhere.
>
> > b) Why is there a time limit at _all_ ? IMHO the images should either be
> > reloaded every time or never.But making this based on some weird timing
> > stuff is nonsense. Everybody will consider this behaviour, when it makes
> > problems, to be a bug.
>
> I don't think 'weird timing stuff' is 'nonsense'. I think that
> 'If-Modified-Since' is not supposed to be accurate - it's meant to be a
> guide, and when implementing a client, you're supposed to allow some slack,
> to account for clock changes (drift/updating/etc.)
>
> This patch simply adds some slack in kio_http, which is where it belongs,
> IMO.
>
> BTW, you didn't mention where you think this will cause problems. I have
> yet to think of anything, so I'd be interested to hear.

When you change the picture and the picture does not appear in the browser
for 'some' time this will confuse the user. A confused user is the worst thing
in the usability department because they will stop trusting your application
to behave the way they think it 'should'.

I have seen this countless times; where a user will start disliking an application
because the author wanted to play too smart.

I really don't like this..