List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Theming manager [was: Re: KDE 3.1]
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () planescape ! com>
Date:       2002-03-30 8:40:07

On Fri, Mar 29, 2002 at 12:28:48PM -0800, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> On Friday 29 March 2002 11:52 am, Thomas Zander wrote:
> > > Last time I checked that was exactly what the theme manager did.
> >
> > And the only thing wrong with that manager is that it;
> > - does not do what it says it does. saving and reopening a style after lots
> >   of tweaks forgets lots of old settings.
>
> And you did not report that to bugs.kde.org because?

The application was a first setup IIRC.  Since nobody did anything
since the first setup I was under the impression it was not maintained.
Besides, anyone who actually used it would find out about the above issue.

> > - does not provide a nice way of 'installing' parts from the web
> >    for example just a wallpaper section.
>
> Other than selecting "wallpaper" in the contents section.

That is not what I mean; I meant to install a picture from look.kde.org in
a nice way. Something like dragging the picture on kcm and getting a 'set
as wallpaper'
Ok, wallpapers is a bad example since we allready have that in kdesktop. But
things like icon themes and intro screens should be easier to install.

> > - does not allow the user to create a partial theme.
>
> Other than selecting the parts that you want to include in your theme in the
> contents section before creating your theme.
Hmm, that was _not_ obvious.
Those controls should be in the creation dialog.

> > - is not really user friendly :} (for example; Uses too many names, not
> >   pictures) probably more.
>
> I am looking forward to hear your suggestions for improvement. Or even better,
> patch it yourself directly, you have CVS access right?

Sorry if I stept on toes; but this is my opinion on the matter. Giving my opinion
and some constructive comments takes 10 minutes; writing an application takes
a lot longer. In short; I don't have the time to write patches for all the things
that I think should be improved.

> I mean, the current theme manager might not be the greatest thing of all but
> since I ported it to KDE 2.0 I have only heared people bitching about that we
> need a better theme manager and nobody fixed anything in the theme manager
> that we had or came with constructive suggestions how to improve it.

I was under the impression I was giving contructive comments; I hope you can
use them and the above observations to make some enhancements to the application.

If you want more and you will (find someone to) actually implement it then I
am willing to do a writeup on my ideas on an application like this.
But maybe we should leave that to the people that started this thread :)