List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Fwd: Re: KDE 3.1
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () planescape ! com>
Date:       2002-03-29 19:37:33

On Fri, Mar 29, 2002 at 06:54:06PM +0000, Joseph Wenninger wrote:

> > The simplicity and power of KDE comes from the fact that everything is an
> > URL/URI.
> >

> I don't think so. A common GUI (Look&Feel) is the power of KDE, not that
> everything is an URL, that's not interesting for a user. I've seen lot of
> windows users, who had problems understanding the audiocd:// url/slave,
> because they had to enter something like audiocd://?dev=/dev/scd0, ... or
> something like that (I haven't looked at it either for a long time). There is
> simply a GUI missing, which lets you choose, which of the existing drives you
> want to use. (Could be that this has been added in the meantime).

But the GUI just shows what the URI dictates; or in other words; when you
type audiocd:/ then all audio-drives should be visible and you can choose
from there.
The only thing that has to be done it to find out where to start. This has
been solved with the sidebar 'services'.

I won't ask you to type the full path to the config file for your kicker. But
when you know where to start (file:/$KDEHOME) the rest is simple.

Then again; I certainly see problems in the kio approuch;
- how do you create a virtual file system via this gui. Where you can
  make dirs and drag files from everywhere without copying them  before
  starting the write.
- how do you show the size of the target CD without disallowing it to contain
  more then allowed on CD for a short time. So you can drag too much and remove
  something else later again.
- save a cd-layout for later use
- save an iso for later use.
- set a cd-title
- set options like 'bootable' etc.

plus:
> That's true, but I tried to create a complete konqy integration for kreatecd a
> long time ago and gave up, because I haven't found a clean solution for
> representing a project in a directory metapher. If you drag a file to a cdr:/
> url, how do you distingish eg, if  should be recorded as an audio cd, as an
> data cd with files or a video cd ?

> You could create different directories eg: cdr:/audio, cdr:/vcd, cdr:/data,
> but that would be more confusing to the eg from Windows converted user, and
> even others, than it would bring a clean solution. If you don't map it as a
> directory, but provide a complete gui, than it's the same as if it would be
> an external application.
>
> How would you make it configurable, if it would be a unix/windows isofs, the
> name of the iso image? track managment ? ......
>
> Kind regards
> Joseph Wenninger

No go...