List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Comparing Startup speed of KDE2 to KDE3
From:       Oswald Buddenhagen <ossi () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-03-28 18:10:22

On Thu, Mar 28, 2002 at 06:34:23PM +0100, David Faure wrote:
> On Thursday 28 March 2002 13:52, Christian Esken wrote:
>
> > So I recalculated the KDE3 measurements, using (281/183 =1.53552) as
> > linear correcting factor (please be aware: it is just a "intelligent
> > guess" to correct the measurement like this):
>
> I don't understand. Why does having a different number of applications
> matter?  Startup time is only about the applications being started,
> not about those installed on the harddisk and unused....

<wild guess>
he means the applications (kcontrol modules, kicker applets, etc.) that
get loaded at startup. the assumption is, that their number is roughly
proportional to the total number of executables.
</wild guess>

greetings

The problem with making software idiot-proof is that idiots are so clever.