List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Comparing Startup speed of KDE2 to KDE3
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2002-03-28 17:34:23

On Thursday 28 March 2002 13:52, Christian Esken wrote:
> The following table shows the results: "max" ist the highest start
> time measured. "avg" is the average of the 4th and 5th run.
>
> 	KDE2	KDE3
> max	31s		16s
> avg	16s		10s

Yes!!! This is very cool. All those people complaining about KDE being too slow
will be happy with KDE3.

> The test was probably not 100% fair, as under KDE2 I have more applications
> installed:
>
> chris@donald:~> ls -1 /opt/kde2/bin/ | wc
>     281     281    3038
> chris@donald:~> ls -1 /opt/kdehead/bin/ | wc
>     183     183    1993
>
> So I recalculated the KDE3 measurements, using (281/183 =1.53552) as linear
> correcting factor (please be aware: it is just a "intelligent guess" to
> correct the measurement like this):

I don't understand. Why does having a different number of applications matter?
Startup time is only about the applications being started, not about
those installed on the harddisk and unused....

> Besides theese measurements I think KDE3 got faster in application startup.
> (I still feel it is too long, but we cannot do too much about it at this point
> I know this has been discussed already enough - but a "simple" text editor
> like kwrite should not need 2-3 seconds, it should "just be there".)

One thing that would make Kate appear faster would be if KSpell
didn't create a hidden dialog on startup (KSpellConfig being both
config data and a dialog..... This should be splitted into e.g
KSpellConfigData and KSpellConfigDialog... but I should have thought of
that before the KDE-3.0 release.....)

http://people.mandrakesoft.com/~david/, http://www.konqueror.org/