List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE 3.0 - the last steps
From:       Rolf Magnus <ramagnus () t-online ! de>
Date:       2002-03-22 14:07:15

On Friday 22 March 2002 14:24, Simon Hausmann wrote:

> > item = addItem(group, "key", i18n("key"));
> > setPrefix(item, "prefix");
> > setSuffix(item, "suffix");
>
> Hm, that looks ugly compared to item->setPrefix IMHO.
>
> Is this attempt of preventing the developer from doing unlikely
> stuff really worth it, at the cost of a non-OO API? :-}

Looks a bit ugly to me, too. But we didn't want public methods to set those
values, because only plugins are supposed to do so. So yes, basically you're
right. Carsten said that he thinks its better so, and we already did this
now. But you get the methods with only few parameters that you wanted, so you
should be at least partially happy with it ;)

> Yes, that would be bad :) I think the difference here is that it
> simply doesn't break binary compatibility, which was the cause for
> the ramblings, not the package dependencies.

What's the difference? I mean BIC does also just result in package
dependancies, no?

> Would it be that hard? I mean, as soon as the new API is finished
> you could just dump the old code and convert to the new API.

Could be an option. But currently, we're workig hard on getting the new api
into kde3.0, and only few work is needed to be done (besides testing and
seeking for bugs). It looks as if we can do it.

> > That's right. But I'm still not sure what the best alternative is now.
>
> You can guess my opinion :)

Right. But we talked to Dirk, and it seems that we are definitely merging the
KFILEMETAINFO_BRANCH back into HEAD which of course means that I don't have
time to prepare for other options.