On Friday 22 March 2002 14:24, Simon Hausmann wrote: > > item =3D addItem(group, "key", i18n("key")); > > setPrefix(item, "prefix"); > > setSuffix(item, "suffix"); > > Hm, that looks ugly compared to item->setPrefix IMHO. > > Is this attempt of preventing the developer from doing unlikely > stuff really worth it, at the cost of a non-OO API? :-} Looks a bit ugly to me, too. But we didn't want public methods to set tho= se=20 values, because only plugins are supposed to do so. So yes, basically you= 're=20 right. Carsten said that he thinks its better so, and we already did this= =20 now. But you get the methods with only few parameters that you wanted, so= you=20 should be at least partially happy with it ;) > Yes, that would be bad :) I think the difference here is that it > simply doesn't break binary compatibility, which was the cause for > the ramblings, not the package dependencies. What's the difference? I mean BIC does also just result in package=20 dependancies, no? > Would it be that hard? I mean, as soon as the new API is finished > you could just dump the old code and convert to the new API. Could be an option. But currently, we're workig hard on getting the new a= pi=20 into kde3.0, and only few work is needed to be done (besides testing and=20 seeking for bugs). It looks as if we can do it. > > That's right. But I'm still not sure what the best alternative is now= =2E > > You can guess my opinion :) Right. But we talked to Dirk, and it seems that we are definitely merging= the=20 KFILEMETAINFO_BRANCH back into HEAD which of course means that I don't ha= ve=20 time to prepare for other options. --=20 =46rom a hotline: Tech Support: "All right ... now double-click on the File Manager icon." Customer: "That's why I hate this Windows -- because of the icons -- I'm a Protestant, and I don't believe in icons."